Thursday, December 17, 2009

Live Like A Champion



In 14 days, the Live Like A Champion project begins.  I've had an eight-month head start, but I still have a long way to go!  Lately, my efforts have been focused on securing firm commitments from my student team.  I'd been drumming up a lot of interest over the past few months, leveraging the power of the "teenage social network" and I'm proud to say that it's paid off - both in my program and at the high school that hosts us.

As of today, I have 42 members on my team, all from the high school:  2 parents, 7 faculty, 2 alumni, and 31 students.  According to Coach Tom, there hasn't been a team of this size before, so this is definitely going to be a learning experience! 

I'm excited about our success and have been doing a lot of planning and thinking around ways to keep everyone involved.  I've been rereading posts and videos, read Jeff Brinker's manual (thank you Jeff!) and loved it, but I'd also love to hear more from other UBBT participants about strategies that you've been using to keep your student team engaged and involved.  We're starting off the year with a New Year's workout and following up right away with a Free Hug Day (props John Mariotti!) at our host high school as a fun way to welcome everyone back from their holiday break.

You'll be hearing more from us in January.  Between now and then, some of my students may be saying hello to the world as we begin to gather our team on Ning.  Stay tuned!

No comments: