Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reconstruction & Reconnection


The next two weeks are a very exciting time for my school.  There is a building project occurring in our parking lot which will install several solar photovoltaic arrays on canopies which will shade our parking spaces.  It's not our project (if only!); it's part of the Green Careers Academy at neighboring Overfelt High School.  Still, it's very fascinating!  (More on how to green your local school here.)

It's really an ingenious idea to make use of those dreary parking lots.  Instead of being a bleak, empty space, now the parking lots will have aesthetically pleasing coverings which will reduce the heat on cars, cool the lot, improve the rain run-off management, perhaps even have self-powered lighting to improve safety while providing clean, sustainable energy!

On another note, I've been rebuilding myself as well.  I seem to have developed some funky colors on my calves which have been slightly disconcerting, if only because my dark-skinned legs generally don't change colors unless something is wrong.  They're not itchy, nor are they painful (much to my relief - those symptoms would be bad, so I am told), but I'm laying low for a couple of days until I can see a physician.  Safe and smart is probably the best approach here.

I'm still supercharged, though.  Even though I'm off of my feet more often, it's afforded me some additional time to invest in some other worthwhile endeavors!

I've turned my focus onto building & rebuilding relationships and connections.  Last night I had dinner with a longtime friend (stay tuned - I'll be writing about him and his work in the future) and tried some fascinating vegan food at Vegetarian House in downtown San Jose.  Tasty place - just be careful of the fried options.

Also, some of my student team members had fallen off of the wagon, but I was very pleased to see them return to training this week.  They're sore, but beginning to get back on track.  I'm very glad to be reconnecting with them.  (Great job team!)

UBBT reunion attendees, I haven't forgotten about you too.  I loved meeting all of you at the event and I'm still talking to people about it!  I'd love to be able to connect with you all again as soon as possible.  I owe you all some photos as well!

Speaking of UBBTers, I was also very happy to connect with Kanentokon Hemlock via phone & Skype.  We're planning a videoconference between our two high school teams - more on this very soon!

I'm also very excited that SGM Rick Alemany and Professor Kai Li will be in San Francisco next month for their seminar.  Since it's in my backyard, I wouldn't dream of missing it.

On the education front, I've been selected to serve on a visiting committee for another charter high school, on behalf of the regional accrediting association (WASC), in April.  I find those experiences wonderfully constructive and it's very refreshing for my practice as a teacher.

My program is joining forces with Dawn Swidorski and MADDCAP.  I'm perusing the materials and hope to begin creating some speaking opportunities for both myself and my students soon!

Lastly, I'm finalizing details for two very special black belt exams that I'll be chairing.  One will be with a longtime friend, and now student, who will be earning his 4th Dan in April.  The other is my own school's test, which will be in the Lake Tahoe area during late May.  Both tests are now heavily influenced by my UBBT experience and if they are even half as enjoyable and rewarding as my own journey has been, then I will have succeeded gloriously.  (If any current members, coaches, or veteran UBBT folks are out in that neck of the woods, it would be a tremendous honor to meet up with you - send me an e-mail!)

Busy is good. I'm never bored that way. Keep training hard - talk with you again soon! :)

No comments: