Saturday, November 20, 2010

Into the Abyss

 
"That place... is strong with the Dark Side of the Force.  A domain of evil it is.  In you must go."
"What's in there?"
"Only what you take with you."
~Yoda & Luke Skywalker, The Empire Strikes Back (1980)


Before I begin, I apologize upfront for being vague, but this one's pretty close to the chest - too close to blog about in a completely public fashion, although I've been talking with a few close friends.

During the coming weeks, I will be facing some steep personal challenges, issues that have been a part of my life for a long time.  I've been feeling somewhat anxious about this for a long time, so in a way, it will be good to confront it because the uncertainty (and, in some cases, the waiting) troubles me far more than any of the possible outcomes.

I have reminded myself how Coach Tom has described the UBBT process as being its own Hero's Journey - a reference to Joseph Campbell's book, The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

My own experience has been consistent with this. 

I remind myself of this when the anxiety strikes me.  During the course of my own UBBT journey, I have completed a long series of trials, with the support of close friends and teammates to lend me strength during the times that I have been tempted to stray from the course. 

Every victory has yielded valuable lessons.  I have grown.

I am not the same person that I was when I first embarked on this path, but I also recognize that right now, I'm not fully prepared for this one.  I've needed to do it for a long time though.  Even though my journey is far from over, I sense that it is time for me to take action now. 

Like my good friend Luke Skywalker, I must venture into this cave alone.  Unlike him, I don't have a lightsaber to bring along with me, which might play out to my advantage.  I kinda want one, though.

Wish me luck, friends.

No comments: