Monday, December 13, 2010

Thirteen Masters of Pain


I was searching for a quote to insert into my blog entry, which led to multiple other readings, and eventually I found myself learning through my searching far more than I was writing, so for this entry, instead of writing, I'd like to share some of the wisdom of thirteen masters of pain, an abbreviated tour, in the spirit of my own online searching:


"Pain is temporary.  It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place.  If I quit, however, it lasts forever." ~Lance Armstrong

"Boxing is about being hit more than it is about hitting, just as it is about feeling pain... more than it is about winning." ~Joyce Carol Oates

"Illness is the doctor to which we pay most heed; to kindness and knowledge, we make promises only; to pain, we obey." ~Marcel Proust 

"I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage." ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

"Waiting is painful.  Forgetting is painful.  But not knowing which to do is the worse kind of suffering." ~Paulo Coelho


"The smallest pain in our little finger gives us more concern than the destruction of millions of our fellow beings." ~William Hazlitt


"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain or regret.  The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons." ~Jim Rohn

"There are only three events in a man's life: birth, life, and death; he is not conscious when being born, he dies in pain, and he forgets to live." ~Jean de la Bruyere 


"Pain is no evil unless it conquers us." ~George Eliot


"Today, I choose life.  Every morning when I wake up, I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... to feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity, but embrace it." ~Kevyn Aucoin

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." ~Kenji Miyazawa 


"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding." ~Kahlil Gibran


"When thought becomes excessively painful, action is the finest remedy." ~Salman Rushdie

The quotes are not as important as the message that you draw from them. 

So what did you hear with your eyes? :)

No comments: