Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pennies from Heaven


Every day, for as long as I can remember, I find a penny on the ground and pick it up.  Well, pretty much every day, and often, Jenn finds one too, but it's awfully close.  It might be on the trails where I've been running, in the parking lot of the grocery store, on the pavement at work, nestled in the grass at the local park, on the floor of a public restroom....you name it, I've found a penny there.  If it's not a penny, it's some other coin.  This morning, I found a dime - yay!

Little things add up to big things, as Coach Tom reminds us, and when I look at the coins that accumulate in the coin sorter in my car, I smile since, at least once a year, the world buys a cup of coffee and a bagel for a friendly homeless person.

It's not about the pennies or my scrounging hobby, though.  Every penny on the ground is an opportunity discarded by someone else, so small as to be insignificant to most people, just like the value of a minute or the value of reading a couple of pages a day.

How many little things are you overlooking on a daily basis?  That spare minute could be spent hugging someone, or sending off a quick 'I love you' message, or in quiet solitude, or something else important.  That spare penny might add up to a meal, a book, a charitable contribution, or more.  That loose piece of trash adds up to a giant oceanwide garbage soup.  That little candy bar after lunch transforms into pounds.

The little things that we ignore add up to larger problems, but the little opportunities that we seize add up to victories.  Handle the small stuff....because it's all small stuff until we make it big stuff.

No comments: