Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where The Path May Lead


In life, Man commits himself, draws a portrait - and there is nothing of Him except that portrait.
~Jean-Paul Sartre, Existentialism is a Humanism

I find myself in need of a larger canvas these days.

When I first viewed the UBBT, my thoughts were to myself.
When I first began the UBBT, my thoughts were of my students.
As I progressed along my UBBT journey, my thoughts went to my school.
As I developed my school through the UBBT, my thoughts moved to the community.

That vision is growing larger, and as I expand into it, I find myself needing to sharpen my sword on all other fronts to prepare myself for the next step.

After some time in Hilo, Hawaii with Coach Tom, along with some conference calls with our teammate Kanentokon Hemlock, I've refocused my sights on locating, recruiting, and supporting other school-based programs like Kanentokon's in Kahnawake, and my own in San Jose.  The kind of work we've been doing here is not only a different kind of dialogue for the martial arts community - it's been a much-needed missing link in the world of public education, which could use a similar revolution.

This project excites me because it holds the potential to unite two major parts of my life which, until now, have remained largely separate.  I really don't know where this is going to lead, but I see a lot of room for growth here, so together, we're going to take some bold steps in beginning something new.

It's time to visualize, mobilize, and actualize!  Stay tuned, awesomeness is coming.

No comments: