Saturday, January 22, 2011

Letting Go: Lightening the Load


My team and I are preparing to host a garage sale fundraiser in a couple of weeks, so I've been looking through my closet.  In preparing to contribute my fair share of items, I'm also working towards one of my own goals: eliminating 80% of my material possessions.

Even though today's project only involved my closet, it's taking longer than expected to go through everything.  I hadn't anticipated the number of things that I'd chosen to keep out of sentimental value: gifts from my father, souvenirs from memorable adventures, and the like.  Now that I'm mindfully considering each one, they're no longer just piles of unused clothes in my closet.  They also carry memories and feelings, some of them rather precious.... but also happen to be piles of unused clothes in my closet.

Maybe I don't need that Janet Jackson concert t-shirt from 1993, or that tie from goodness knows what year (How did I ever find that fashionable???  Ha!)....but it may take some time, though, to understand some of my feelings of attachment to other things, so that I can let many of them go.

Quite an interesting test: battling my own nostalgia.

No comments: