Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Today Is A Good Day To Die

Quotes from Worf...my Trekkie side has been revealed.
Before you know it, I'll be quoting country songs too.

Someday, I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.

I lost a family friend recently.  We had known it was coming for a long time.  My heart goes out to his family, friends, and all those who knew him much better than I did, but I'm also glad that he's no longer suffering and can rest.

Our mortality reminds us of the precious gift of our lives.  Although we do not truly live to witness our own death, experiencing it through an outsider's eyes and feeling the ripples of emotion also reminds us that one day, we too will be gone, and we will also be missed.

That's also why we must do what we can today to care for the gift our our lives, and the part of others' lives that they share with you.  Each is precious because it is not only limited, but fragile as well.  Each must be handled with care and lovingkindness, for someday they will be gone.

And yet, you and I have been dying ever since we were born.

That is the perfect excuse to LIVE: to honor the gift of our life.

That is the perfect excuse to eat well:  to nourish the gift of our life.
That is the perfect excuse to train: to maintain the gift of our life.
That is the perfect excuse to learn, to share...
....and to be kind, to forgive, to serve....to bring light into the world.

Why wait?  We are dying right now.  There is no reason to wait for a doctor to bring us news before we begin to be mindful about our lives or share time with the people you care for.  Just because your 100,000 mile powertrain warranty will expire doesn't mean that you stop taking care of the car....and in our case, some parts can't be replaced, so we need to care for it now!

We do these things, right now, because our training reminds us that life is precious and worth protecting... yet, if it's worth protecting, then it's also worth caring for.

Oh, how about me?  I'm saying this all just to remind myself: Today is a good day to DIET.

What that other title's all about, I don't know. 
I do miss my friend though, and wish him a hearty Godspeed.

No comments: