Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tales of a Chronic Insomniac

I don't sleep much. I stay up extremely late and wake up very early. Sometimes this is a function of my lower back waking me up, but more often, I just wake up before my alarm clock and snap into action. When my back wakes me, I suffer some of the symptoms of mild sleep deprivation; however, when I wake on my own, I'm as chipper as can be.

I consider this an advantage.

I've always been a night owl, but it used to come at a heavy price. Now things are different.

I end up having an additional 2-4 hours of productive time each day, and I use this to my benefit, mainly by handling business at work, but also by taking extra time to relax at home, or allowing myself to hit the gym for 1.5-2 hours instead of 30-60 minutes.

This 'gift' is not an innate ability, nor did it come to me suddenly. It's one of the more curious metabolic perks that I've picked up through my studies in the healing arts. After my first few months of training, I began to notice how much more easily I could wake up and fall asleep. It became a focus of my meditation and practice. After years of practice, it's almost second nature for me to control my sleep cycles.

Weird, huh? I'll take it though. :)

No comments: