Monday, August 31, 2009

Improving Mindfulness


One key component to effective time management is the awareness of time. I've generally been reasonably well-organized with putting events in my calendar and reviewing them regularly; however, the biggest flaws in my own time management system lie not within my organizational systems, but within my own sense of time as it passes.

This manifests in numerous ways, all unintentional, but still leaving me grasping for time. Sometimes a phone conversation may go longer than intended, leaving me behind. Other times, the old adage "time flies when you're having fun" often leaves me with less time than I've originally planned because too much of it has flown by. I don't want to feel so strictly bound to my watch, but I do see a need to improve here. Lately, I've devoted an inordinate amonut of time to responding to student e-mails, and I've slipped slightly with my journaling. I catch myself before I fall too far behind, but were I my own student, I'd probably have pounced already.

On a continuum of proficiency starting with (1) unconscious incompetence, (2) conscious incompetence, (3) conscious competence, and (4) unconscious competence, I'm at a level 3 when it comes to my sense of time management. When I place a conscious effort to do it, and do it well, it gets handled.

I need to work towards mastery. I want to be at that fourth level. Time to practice, practice, practice!

No comments: