Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In Sickness and in Health


I'm down, but not out.

I picked up a bit of food poisoning, most likely on Sunday, and my stomach was practicing involuntary backflips for a while.  (Lesson learned: Undercooked seafood = suffering.  Well-cooked = happiness.)

It hasn't taken me out of the game though.  I'm ahead on my numbers for the year, so I took a couple of days off from training.  I reminded myself of General Douglas MacArthur's line, "We're not retreating - we're advancing in another direction," and then I set off to work on other goals.

I cleaned a lot, as one of my personal goals was to excavate myself out of my piles of unsorted stuff.  I went through old junk mail, shredded it, and tossed enough into the recycle bin to account for a small tree.  It made me feel sad.  I'm going to plant some trees this year.  Please hold me to this.

I briefly turned on the television and CNN was doing a viewer-response segment about mixed martial arts and churches.  I listened to angry viewers denounce the martial arts as violence for longer than I should have, and then turned off the television to go and meditate instead.  I felt disappointed.  I'm going to do at least three presentations on anger management, non-violent conflict resolution, and peace education this year, and thirty more through my students.  Please hold me to this.

This is part of what I do when life throws me a curve ball:  I adjust and find a way to take action on it.  It doesn't always involve creating new goals, unless it's in an area that I haven't been working on.  The commitment (or recommitment) revitalizes me, so that instead of staying down, I get back up.

No comments: