Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Honor Is My Life



Promises are overrated.  What matters is the commitment that the promise represents.

It is said that a samurai never had to make promises.  Once spoken, it is as good as done.

In person, I joke around - a lot.  However, when it comes to serious matters, you will find that my word is as good as action.  I will accomplish the things that I say I will do....or break myself trying.  I don't say that because I actively seek to hurt myself.  I'm saying that because that's how committed I am to my word.

Last April, I committed to UBBT 7.  Since then, I have thought very deeply about what I wanted from this year and how I would reinvent myself in order to become the kind of teacher that my students deserve to have, the kind of person that my loved ones deserve to have, and the kind of human being that this world needs.  My goals are the product of those reflections - sure they're on the list of UBBT requirements, but I'm not embracing them because they're on a checklist.  It's because I understand and have great respect for why each of those items is there.  That's why I committed to doing it.

I have been thinking, planning, acting, reflecting, and renewing for almost 10 months now.

Thus far, I have remained true to my word.
(Please remind me if I've forgotten anything.  I assure you, it wasn't intentional.)

It is a strange feeling sometimes to hear others praise me for my accomplishments so far this year.  I know their intentions and I appreciate their positive energy, yet at the same time, I feel weird receiving praise for doing something that I said that I was going to do.  Sure, when it's a high target and I hit it, the praise is encouraging and I feel validated....but have our expectations of the world become so low that we presume failure in order to be pleasantly surprised by someone's success?  I hope not.  I hope that instead, such praise is a celebration of integrity and honor.

Part of warriorship, the budo, the martial way, whatever you want to call it, involves sincerity and integrity on this level....not only in training, but in life.  Commitment isn't any harder than just doing the things that you say you're going to do.  If you want to make it more difficult than that, you're welcome to do so, but that doesn't change anything in my book.  Life will throw you plenty of curveballs; there's no need to add any yourself unless you want it that way.

The symbol of my warriorship is not my sword - it is my spoken word, which is far more powerful than any sword.

My word is my honor, my honor is my life, and my life is my dojo.

Some snapshots of that life for you:

Four years ago, I told a group of nervous freshmen that if they worked hard and persevered through the dual challenge of surviving high school and building the culture of a newly-created school, I would be there when they walked across the stage to receive their diploma.  In four months, that will become reality.

Twelve years ago, I had dinner with my father on my birthday.  He asked me, and I told him, that no matter how successful I was in business, I would finish college.  It was our last conversation.  He died three weeks later.  I went back to school and went from being a high school graduate to earning my master's degree within five years.

Twenty years ago, I told a girl that I loved her and that if she gave me the chance, I would be the man that she deserves to have.  Since then. every time that I have said those three little words to her, it is with the same sincerity.  The last time I told her, "I love you," was about two hours ago, before I started drafting this.  Those words still hold true today, and as far as I'm concerned, they always will.

Commitment is my strength.  I will not fail you, and I will certainly not fail myself.  I like myself too much for that. :)

There are three hundred and eighteen days left in this year's challenge.  I will be there at the finish line, in person or in digital spirit, to celebrate with you, but before that day, something else must occur.

You must honor your word.

No comments: