Monday, April 27, 2009

Discipline and Diet, Part 1



Mealtimes are among my favorite times of the day. They are the times when I reward my senses for a job well done. At times, I indulge myself and try something new, but on most nights, there are several favorites which I never tire of sampling.

This is an area where my self-discipline is most challenged. In the past few years, I have conceded many battles and paid a heavy price (literally) for being inconsistent.

I also know that this must change.

Therefore, I intend to spend the next few months creating new food habits. I'm not going on a "diet", at least not in the mainstream sense where I make a radical adjustment for a short-term period, experience some results, and then return to my old ways. I want to implement lasting changes, achieve stellar results, and in order to accomplish this, I plan to rebuild my habits in stages.

I began the first stage of this today: better meals at work.

I am fortunate that my school provides complimentary staff meals from our food service provider, an independent company that delivers fresh-made, organic lunch items every weekday. It serves as an excellent alternative, and tastes quite good! So, I'll be standing in the lunch line more often, whenever I'm not brown bagging it.

More on this later.

No comments: