Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good Karma

Author Paulo Coelho once wrote that when you really want something, the universe conspires to help you achieve it. In the past week, I have seen a glimpse of this 'conspiracy' in my life, and it is good.

As part of my workout plan, I thought I would start biking to work on certain days. I live close enough to work (roughly 11 miles, one way) for it to be a fun challenge. I can squeeze this in by managing my time well.

While riding home from work, I had a flat tire and needed to 'hoof it'. Result: bonus workout!

Well, yesterday my car had a flat tire too. Coincidences are funny. That's not all, though!

While waiting for roadside assistance (my car isn't equipped with a spare), I had a brief moment where I almost slipped on my diet. I had planned on a late lunch, but not that late, so when I discovered that it would be roughly an hour before the tow truck would arrive, I got out of the car and walked to the closest food establishment: a McDonald's. (insert gestures intended to ward off evil here)

I walked up, ordered myself a chicken nugget meal, and was all ready to indulge in some comfort food, when my phone rang - it was the tow truck driver, who was 30 minutes early. They're not supposed to wait, but he was really nice and I told him that I'd be right there. I took my unopened bag and ran (read as: sprinted) about a mile back to my car, achieving speeds that I haven't had since high school. (Bonus workout!)

The tow truck driver was an incredibly nice guy. As I gasped for air, I thanked him for waiting and he let me sit in the front of the truck to eat my lunch while he loaded my car onto the ramp.

I plopped myself in the front seat and opened my bag.

Inside was a Filet-O-Fish sandwich. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

I pause and resist the urge to gag.

That sandwich is, arguably, the worst thing on the menu, tastewise and healthwise. There's no way I'd eat it, even if the world ended tomorrow. Not wanting to waste food (if you can call it that), I decide to offer it to the driver instead.

Turns out that he had skipped lunch and was starving, so he accepted it gratefully. He took one look at the Filet-O-Fish, and said, "Oh, no way - I love these things! How did you know?"

Net result: two flat tires = two bonus workouts, my food habits remain intact, and one unexpected act of kindness.

Karma is AWESOME.

No comments: