Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Raising the Bar

Normal is overrated.

When someone makes a commitment to make the martial arts a part of their lifestyle, I believe that part of that commitment entails the adoption of two sub-beliefs: (1) we hold ourselves to a higher standard in our daily lives, and (2) we help redefine the general concept of 'normal' through our work with others. Leading by example, then, naturally entails the perpetual quest to live as an exceptional human being.

Right now, I'm doing so-so in those areas. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at a 6, but rising. I used to rate myself much higher; however, in the past few months, I've become acquainted with a fantastic group of people in the UBBT who are holding themselves to a much higher standard than I'd originally envisioned (thanks again team for redefining my standards!). I'm 'hungrier' for improvement these days. I have new goals and I want to reach them!

Since my days are spent on a high school campus, I am often in the presence of many who do not fully understand the benefits of what I've been engaged in, outside of my membership. Most just give curious stares while I teach and when they see me training during my breaks, but a few react with preprogrammed toxicity (borrowing from John Mariotti's post). I'm unsure where and how young people can become so jaded and cynical, but when it begins to affect me, I remember the advice of the Greek philosopher Epictetus: "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." I appear strange and unusual to them because they've probably never met anyone who's trying to do what we're doing.

Every day, I look forward to showing them what we're about.

No comments: