Thursday, January 7, 2010

Students: You Are A Teacher

"The path of the teacher and student are one."
-Vergere, from SW-NJO: Traitor, by Matthew Stover

Matthew Woodring Stover is one of my favorite authors, at least in terms of novels that I read for fun.  A talented writer with martial arts experience, Stover regularly infuses his work with rich and insightful narratives that draw from the teachings of the arts - like the quote above.  But I digress...

I may have a master's rank and title, and I may share my days with others teaching, but I am forever a student.  Without this constant and never-ending quest for improvement, I wouldn't be the kind of teacher that my students deserve to have.  I am always working on my "A" game, and my standard for my "A" game continues to rise as I grow.

Similarly, students may wear a student's belt and play the role of learner more frequently, but you are also forever a teacher.  Everyone around you learns from you.  As Dr. Phil might say, we teach people how to treat us.  This is especially important because, if you're a UBBT student member, you are also now a teacher to everyone around you and for countless thousands more!

Since we're teammates, and we are both students and teachers together, then let me share something with you: some of your biggest battles with your UBBT participation may be with those who are close with you.  It's not because they don't care about me, because they do.  They just don't understand what we've committed to.  That's understandable: the UBBT is a big commitment!

Help them to understand the value of what you are doing.  Though you may be a student, you, like me, are a teacher.

No comments: