Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Homeless Millionaire

This morning, I read about Richard Leroy Walters, a homeless man in Phoenix who had died two years ago and surprised many when he left behind an estate worth over $4 millon.

According to the article, 76-year-old Walters was a retired engineer, graduated with honors from Purdue with a MA, and a Marine....never married, no children, no family to contact, although he did have friends. When he retired, he also left the world of material needs: no home, no car, just a backpack with essentials and a radio. He spent his days hanging out at the local senior center.

Here is a man who had mastered simplicity in his life. He let go of so many material things which many of us would be reluctant to give up because we've intertwined such things into our lifestyles, and although he did not have family, he still connected with people. That's far more important than clinging to possessions anyway.

I'm not ready to give up my home just yet, but I've noticed that my life is different now that I use my car less. Most of the shops that I need to visit are within half a mile of my home, so I walk. Now that I'm trying to use my car less frequently, I take a different perspective of time when it comes to going where I want to go. I partake in less frivolous side trips and plan my routes much more effectively. And when I get into my car, I find that some of those habits are lingering. I like that. Next goal is to see if I can apply the same lessons to my credit cards.

Strange how letting go of things can sometimes give you a firmer grip on them.

What a cool lesson. Thanks, Mr. Walters.

No comments: