Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A New Paradigm


I'm always really pumped about my work after having a phone chat with Master Callos. As much as I know I've progressed personally and professionally, it's awesome to have it validated by another. Thank you, sir!

One thing that excites me about this process is the opportunity to synergize my efforts with a larger community, not solely within the realm of exercise, but in expanding the dialogue of self-defense within our industry. The kinds of battles that most of us fight on a daily basis are not of the punch-kick-throw-choke variety. There are other things which cause us far more harm, and if we're not aware of these things, they will defeat us more decisively than any opponent ever will.

Self-defense, in this new paradigm, is not solely about fighting. It's still about protecting ourselves from harm - that hasn't changed. However, we need to expand our mindset and connect our practice to begin to address a wider awareness of the things which cause us harm in our lives.

More on this later.

No comments: