Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Cycle


It's back-to-school season, and schoolteachers (like myself) are getting themselves prepared for the upcoming school year. I just finished a weeklong series of meetings and planning sessions, which have been useful, but also time-consuming.

Operating on an academic calendar has been a blessing in disguise because it affords me the opportunity to reflect, refresh, and revitalize my practice for a few days each year before beginning a new cycle with a new class. I've refined my organizational systems and I look forward to trying them! I found it to be a really healthy exercise. Given time and thought, I almost always find a way to streamline, improve, or enhance an existing system.

When I was running my school, I operated in cycles, mostly centered around testing dates and special events. When I was first learning the ropes, there was little time to deviate from the cycle, and it was the driving force behind my schedule. It took a while before I learned to handle things.

I hope that each of you, in your own way, give yourselves the opportunity to recharge and take a close look at whatever you're doing (that's part of the goal setting cycle - review & renew!). That kind of refinement is time-consuming, but it pays back generously in the form of extra time!

No comments: