Thursday, June 18, 2009

Workout Summary: Day 56

What a difference variety makes! It's helping me to enjoy my workouts again, plus I'm getting some different feelings of soreness as well!

This week marked the beginning of my students' summer "Preparing to Live Like a Champion" workouts: a series of semi-casual, come-when-you-can (but come often) workouts aimed to get everyone into shape in time for January. The sessions are aimed to overcome the objection, "I don't know if I can keep up with the workouts," so there's a lot of confidence-building and team-building going on. I really like their energy.

If anything, I'm impressed by their desire to do well! They're hungry for success and it's pushed them to accomplish amazing things in a short amount of time. This week, we did some initial endurance testing and asked students to do as many push-ups, crunches, and chair squats as possible - pushing until they couldn't go anymore.

The push-ups went as expected, the results for the crunches was impressive, and the chair squats blew me away! Most of the students, while scoring under 15 for the pushups (many under 5), could do over 100 crunches without stopping! I was flabbergasted by the chair squat results: many students performed over 1,000 chair squats without weights before stopping! You can see more on this in my previous entry.

We plan to do a Saturday hike together, as a form of active recovery. My legs are wobbly. I hope I can keep up with the young'uns!


Tally for the week:
  • Hiking: 15 miles (4 Sat, 5 Sun, 3 Mon, 3 Wed)
  • Cycling (stationary): 30 miles (5 per day: Sat-Thurs)
  • Basics: 45m (15m per day: Sun, Tues, Thurs)
  • Forms: 36 (12 per day: Sun, Tues, Thurs)
  • Bag Work: 12m (4x60s: Sun, Tues, Thurs)
  • Kicks: 1800 (3x600: Sun, Tues, Thurs)
  • Punching (w/5lb weights): 15m (3x5m: Sat, Mon, Wed)
  • Push-ups: 400 (3x125: Sat, Mon, Wed...extra 25 on Mon)
  • Crunches: 525 (3x150: Sat, Mon, Wed...extra 75 on Mon)
  • Squats: 620 (Wed's squat marathon)

Total since Day 1:
  • Running (total): 56 miles
  • Cycling (total): 396 miles
  • Hiking: 33 miles
  • Pushups: 4050
  • Crunches: 6325
  • Squats: 2420
  • Lunges: 1800
  • Punching w/weights: 15m
  • Basics: 45m
  • Form repetitions: 236
  • Kicks: 12100
  • Bag work: 84 rounds (84m total)

No comments: