Friday, May 22, 2009

Gentle Reminder Received - Thanks!

This morning, one of my students caught me doing my squats only half-heartedly as I supervised the group and called me on it. I wasn't paying attention as I was scanning the class, and I heard a friendly, "all the way now!" come from the front line. It was a good reminder. Thanks John! I needed those squats.

Earlier this week, one of my students saw me wandering through the group during an independent practice session, and reminded me, "aren't you going to train with us too, sir?" I smiled and joined them. Thanks Barnaby! It was a great opportunity.

Even black belts need to be reminded sometimes. As often as I try, sometimes I have my moments, and I'm glad that I have a good support team with me. In my younger years, I thought I had to save face in front of my students and avoid making mistakes. I like that my students can keep me honest without sacrificing anything from our relationship. If anything, it deepens it because the support goes both ways, and they appreciate that I acknowledge my own human imperfections and strive to work on them - just as I expect them to do.

No comments: