Friday, May 15, 2009

Peak Experiences

Tonight marks the beginning of a 3-day black belt testing event at my school. There are those who frown on my old-style "Ironman" tests, often criticizing them as elements of the "dungeon dojo" days, but at my school, I've strived to blend the best elements of the old and the new together.

These next three days comprise one of many peak experiences that students face in my program. It is important for me to provide my students with numerous peak experiences. They instill a sense of confidence and growth every time they encounter one and succeed - progressively building students towards their black belt in a way that new white belts can look at their own black belt test not with a feeling of dread, but with excitement!

This weekend, I have one candidate (Alex), but his peers and friends in the program are all here helping to create a celebration of his advancement! Alex is sequestered in the school's computer lab, busily typing answers to a written exam and preparing a presentation about maintaining proper nutrition with an active lifestyle, which he will deliver shortly. While he is working on this, the rest of the students have been transforming a high school cafeteria into a formal atmosphere for demonstrations and a beautiful rank ceremony, to be held tomorrow night. They will finish their preparations at around the same time that Alex finishes his exam.

I'm very proud of all of them.

This is a peak experience for everyone involved. For Alex's support team, they're all heavily invested in preparing a first-class room, decorated specifically to celebrate him. For Alex, he's challenging his mind and focusing harder than I've ever seen him. Tomorrow, the roles will blend: Alex will complete the physical/technical requirements of the test, followed by a rank evaluation for his peers. (I ask them to test in the same environment because it allows them to envision themselves at their own black belt test.) Afterwards, they will all practice together to create a demonstration for Alex's family and friends - who will have their own peak experience from witnessing Alex's ascension into the Black Belt ranks.

On Sunday, I'm going to ask him to do something that he's never done before. Having a 'white belt' experience is, in my opinion, a perfect test for a black belt (well, anyone really) to have. It gives insight into having a "beginner's mind" all over again, which gives us an entry point into discussing further progress and having a healthy sense of compassion for his junior students! Even then, he will have a support team at his side, ready to coach him and help him to succeed.

All of these things are not foreign to Alex, or any of my students, for that matter. They learn, from the very first day, that in the process of improving ourselves, we need to stretch beyond our comfort zones. We need to do what we've never done before in order to get what we've never had before. Our training experiences are frequently punctuated with special peak experiences like this in order for them to grow and celebrate that growth.

The "Live" project, in many ways, is the rightful next evolution for myself and my program. Our school's culture is already, in many ways, prepared to attempt something new. It's going to be a new set of peak experiences for me, and for them, but I'm also very proud to see so many of them step up to volunteer, even though I haven't fully explained the precise details and requirements.

However, just as Alex will overcome his obstacles this weekend, we will all rise to our new challenge together.

No comments: