Friday, May 1, 2009

Thirty Minutes to Thrive


In Anthony Robbins' work, he encourages people to invest in an "Hour of Power" every morning. During this hour, you prepare your mind for the day, particularly your attitude! For those who may not have the luxury of a full hour, you can take "thirty minutes to thrive" instead. In my case, my "Hour of Power" is divided into two thirty-minute shifts.

The first thirty minutes occurs when I wake up in the morning. I'm usually conscious before my alarm goes off, but as a creature of habit, I wait an extra few minutes and allow the beep from my cell phone to signal the beginning of my morning meditation. I sit up in my bed, cross my legs, and focus on affirmations and commitments which relate to my life's mission of helping others. A few favorites include:
  • Today is a new day, a new beginning. In every instant of every day, the universe ceases to be itself and becomes something else, all without losing its identity. I have the power to do the same. In any moment, I can choose to become something else, and in doing so, I do not have to give up who I am.
  • As I can choose to reinvent myself at any time, so can others. Yesterday's negative perceptions do not have to be today's unless I choose to let them. In the present moment, I can be mindful of yesterday, while remaining open to tomorrow.
  • I create my own destiny. My choices and actions define who I am, not only in the eyes of others, but in my own. I must always act in a way that allows me to face the man in the mirror with dignity.
  • Today, the universe will present opportunities for me to be kind to others. I must think clearly to see them for what they are.
  • Anger, fear, aggression: the dark side, are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you, it will. (Thanks, Master Yoda.)
My cell phone reminds me when thirty minutes have passed, and I get out of bed to begin my usual morning rituals: hygiene, nourishment, love to family, and preparations to leave for work.

During my drive to work, the second "thirty minutes" take place. I've organized my commute in order to present myself with an opportunity for both auditory and visual stimulation. I have several playlists on my iPod which are great for setting a positive mood. Most of the time, it's upbeat music, often the kind which I use (or have/will use) for demo team routines. It keeps me energized. If you're driving around in San Jose and see some random guy rocking out in his car, that's probably me.

Visually, my commute takes me through some of the wealthiest and the most poverty-stricken areas of San Jose. It's another chance for me to focus on my work (even while I rock out).

While I drive over the hill, pass the local country club, and scan all of the beautiful homes up there, I am reminded of several things: (1) how fortunate I am, (2) how comfortably I live, and (3) how I've lived a happy and fulfilling life without needing such things.

Then I reach the bottom of the hill, where I pass a few businesses and then turn into the local residences by my school. The homes range from modest to 'should be condemned', and I am also reminded that (1) some people live with economic hardship all around them, (2) this is often a generational cycle and it has bred a sense of defeatism and cynicism for many who live with it, and (3) that I teach many students who have grown up with this, some of whom may occasionally see me as a guy from 'the hill' even though I'm just a guy on the other side of the hill.

After a few blocks of this, I pull into the parking lot of my school, reminded of advice from one of my old teachers: that teaching is all about inspiring people to go where they've never gone before, do what they've never done before, and become who they never thought they would be - or more.

My commute prepares me mentally and emotionally for what awaits me. Where I work, the skills of a master are required. I am proud to work amongst other masters, heroes-in-training, leaders of the community, and positive role models. We are all dedicated to serving others and helping our communities to create a brighter future, but we all recognize that this is challenging work. Challenges are awesome.

For me, the vision begins anew every day with thirty minutes of mindful intention, and proceeds into a day of passionate action.

No comments: