Sunday, May 17, 2009

You Will Experience Fear

This post brought to you by my inner Trekkie, who enjoyed the new movie.
/random unpaid movie plug off

Tomorrow, I depart for my "Week Without Walls" trip. I'm thrilled to be able to share the next few days with my students because I know they will learn so much from the journey to come. At the same time, a part of me is anxious for many reasons, which is somewhat ironic since one of the major components of the week is about overcoming fear.

I think everyone carries a secret fear. Mine is the fear of not being good enough. To me, it's a different feeling than a fear of failure, or an unhealthy obsession with perfectionism. Since I've long since faced my fear and addressed it, my fear no longer has power over me. It takes a different form in my life now, as a prompt to take action.

I still experience fear, but now my fear is a gift. (Thanks, Gavin de Becker.)

Unaddressed fear can be paralyzing. It can be crippling, cause us to flee, stall, or at the very least, place us in a state of inaction. During this stasis, when our brains are processing a "fight or flight" state, not much gets accomplished.

My fears are mental and emotional cues. They tell me that it's decision time, and that action is required. This week, my students will have the chance to face one or more fears and then overcome them.

More on this later. For now, let the week begin!

No comments: