Monday, May 18, 2009

Week Without Walls, Day 1


Two weeks ago, eighteen students gathered in a room, all volunteers to go on my trip. Of them, three had traveled with me before, several are already active students in my program, two are black belts which I have trained, a handful have some experience from other instructors, and several more are new faces to the martial arts scene - but familiar students.

Many of them are excited about the trip. Some of them are anxious about the challenges which lie ahead. Others feel similarly, but they hold their feelings inside and keep themselves busy to distract themselves.

Today they are a team.

Today, I saw eighteen bodies carrying supplies to the vans, handing off gear and duffel bags as an assembly line, rapidly packing our vans to maximum capacity. I saw relative strangers reaching out to one another towards a common goal. Where I stand, I see unity where only fourteen days ago, there was fragmentation.

Today, I watched them work as a unit to build a marquee pavilion at our campsite, which will eventually house our gear and supplies. I saw new friends climb trees, toss footballs, and play cards together. I watched a train of bodies hike behind me as we made our way out to the beach, where our training would eventually begin.

I couldn't be more pleased. I had high expectations for this group. I've challenged them to transcend the level of the previous years' trips and set a new standard of excellence that others will aspire to.

I am confident that they will succeed.

Some many not believe it yet, by week's end, all of them will.

No comments: