Thursday, May 7, 2009

Workout Summary: Day 14

This week, I focused on biking over running. I've noticed that my knees aren't 16 anymore (I wasn't good to them back then either) and they're appreciating the fact that I'm treating them with care. I think I'll build in some work on the elliptical runner at my gym. Those don't hurt my knees nearly as bad. Then again, I attempted a couple of 540s the other day and it was probably premature for me to be tricking this early in the process, even with basic tricks, so it's my own fault. (I am SO throwing a 540 again before I'm done with this program.)

I also continued with my light strength program, with some bonus reps included, courtesy of the STAR test. I'm glad that my students are focused and are treating the test with the seriousness that it deserves, both for their sake and because it's given me the opportunity to sneak in a few extra sets. I'll need to add some weightlifting in the near future - not to bulk up, just for tone. High reps at low weight = win.

Soreness is becoming a way of life.

I've noticed that I've been needing more sleep. Perhaps my body is demanding recovery time to balance out the demands that I've been placing on myself lately. Maybe it's because I've patterned too much of my lifestyle around systematic sleep deprivation and it's time for me to change that, too. It's probably both, and more.

I'm hoping to include some light recreational hiking in the near future. I'm planning on hiking with a co-worker this weekend. I like hiking. I'll see about working it in as the weather improves.

Tally for the week:
  • Running (road): 2.5 miles (Sat)
  • Running (elliptical): 2.5 miles (Wed only - need more)
  • Cycling (stationary): 60 miles (10 per day, not counting today)
  • Pushups: 550 (100 Sat, 200 Mon, 250 Wed, sets of 25)
  • Crunches: 600 (100/day since Th, 4 sets of 25)
  • Squats (no weights): 300 (100 Fri, 100 Sun, 100 Tues, 4 sets of 25)
  • Lunges (no weights): 300 (100 Fri, 100 Sun, 100 Tues, 2 sets of 25 - each side)
  • Form repetitions: 30 (10x Fri, 10x Sun, 10x Tues. Each day consists of 5 traditional, 5 contemporary)
  • Kicks: 1800 (600x Sat, 600x Mon, 600x Wed. Assorted kicking techniques.)
  • Bag work: 12 rounds (60 sec rounds; 4x Sat, 4x Mon, 4x Wed. Assorted boxing techniques.)
Total since Day 1:
  • Running (total): 23 miles
  • Cycling (total): 106 miles
  • Pushups: 850
  • Crunches: 1200
  • Squats: 600
  • Lunges: 600
  • Form repetitions: 60
  • Kicks: 3300
  • Bag work: 24 rounds (24m total)

No comments: