Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Musical Interlude

I've been selecting new music for an upcoming black belt test. I have a lot of music already, but I like to add to the collection each year so that I maintain a fresh rotation, instead of using the same songs.

My taste in demonstration music has shifted over the years. It's maintained a somewhat 'youthful' appeal, but I've expanded my selections to multiple genres. At first, I used top 40 pop music (which, at the time, was terrible...arguably still is, haha). From there, I shifted to using techno/dance/electronica music. I've also used a number of hard rock and hip-hop hits, as well as classical and jazz pieces, alternative rock, aerobics music, remixes and covers by other groups, movie and television soundtracks, various world music and New Age themes, contemporary vocalists, and more.

Lately, I've been exploring darker pieces. It's difficult to describe them accurately, but the closest I can get to it might be 'epic goth-femme symphonic metal', which in my amateur opinion includes the likes of Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Epica, and more. There's something that I find appealing about the balance of power rock chords, an upbeat percussion with heavy bass undertones, well-played supporting string instruments, and a musically-trained female vocalist....a sort of 'beauty arising from darkness' theme that I've come to enjoy.

To me, these things connect with something primal and essential about the martial arts. Our ways are rooted in techniques which can be employed for violent purposes; however, we strive to forge better selves through the training. The paradox of building beautiful people through the mastery and control of potentially destructive power is interesting.

In my head, that's what I hear when I listen to dark music - almost like a light in the darkness.

Strange, huh?

No comments: