Friday, May 22, 2009

Week Without Walls, Day 5


Today, my students will face their final challenge of the week: board breaking. They have been preparing for this all week through conditioning themselves physically, focusing themselves mentally, and calming themselves emotionally. For some of them, this will be their first time breaking a board - mere days after beginning their training.

At this stage, breaking is less of a physical obstacle and more of a mental one. If they believe that they cannot do it, they will be right, thanks to the magic of self-fulfilling prophecies; however, if they believe they can, then they open themselves to the possibility of success.

To add to the challenge, I'm asking each of them to speak publicly and openly to their classmates before performing their break. This week has been about facing fear, personal transcendence, and life mastery. I've asked them to address all of the above in a brief 20-second speech:
Sir, when this week began, I was afraid of....
During this week, I faced it by....
I'm not afraid anymore. This board is my fear.
With those words spoken, each student pierced the room with a loud yell...and where one board once lay, now there are two.

The room fills with applause, encouragement, and the sound of high-fives. It is a peak experience that they will never forget. I'm glad that they came this week.

No comments: